Monday, July 29, 2013

As classes begin...

With school becoming a part of our everyday routine, the daily partying seems to have died down to a weekly thing. However, I am looking forward to this huge back to school party at the uni bar Wednesday night, where you dress like a nerd; I think all of us are going, it sounds like a good time!
Last Wednesday, we went to the uni bar, which is better known as the Bar on the Hill, for a fun international students karaoke night. It was actually one of the best times I've had in awhile since the entire group decided to sing me "Sweet Caroline" as I sat on a stool front and center in the audience. Maybe you figured it out already, but Wednesdays are the big nights for students to go out. Isn't it just lovely that I have class from 9 am until 7 pm on Thursdays? eek.
good times never seemed so good...
The Sunday before the first week of class we attended a rugby game (or as aussies say a "footy"), which was literally so so awesome. It was the Newcastle Knights versus the Sydney Roosters. Despite the piddling name, the Roosters came out on top. I don't know too much about rugby so I wasn't entirely aware of what was going on throughout the game, but it was a great experience nonetheless. I'd really like to attend another one if possible!
the roomie and I at the bar before the footy
rugby stadium
Something that has entirely slipped my mind throughout my last few blogs is the weather! I must address it. "Ohhh Australia...soooo warm....shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, ay?" Not quite. The first couple days here were actually fairly warm, but it was trickery. It's been pretty chilly here the past week and a half. Like I brought out the North Face jacket a few times, so clearly it got pretty serious. When you wake up in the morning and as soon as the sun sets, it can get as cold as thirty-five/forty degrees fahrenheit. The next few weeks will be tough, especially since I didn't bring too many warmer clothes, but once it warms up it's going to be such perfection.
So, Uni classes started this week. The campus is so incredibly overwhelmingly huge. But really. Although, we do have an app that gives you step by step directions to any building and includes pictures of each side of the building for reference, so that's helpful. I've only had one class so far, and it was Australian Pop Culture. It seems like a great class, except not being from Australia is really going to have its disadvantages. Just within the first class, I was completely lost; the class was discussing past events that happened in the country, Australian tv shows/ movies/ people... and I hadn't heard of one. The good thing is the class is about one third international, so I'm certainly not alone.
I have class pretty much every day, except nothing on Friday, and on Tuesdays all I have is this one credit course with our program coordinator that we're all in together and it's really not bad at all.
My Thursdays are going to be pretty rough though.
There's been murmurs of plans to go into Sydney this weekend, I'm one hundred percent on board! It costs like eleven dollars to get there and back, and it's a two and a half hour train ride. I really want to get some Australian stuff for myself and people back home so I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the trip.
We're starting to discuss where and when we are traveling and it's getting seriously exciting...like I just can't even believe that I'm here and that I'm so close to Asia and New Zealand and everywhere else. It's truly unreal.

1 comment:

  1. "A dingo ate my baby!" I'm sure that has to show up in your pop culture class somewhere! And Kylie Minogue too :) So glad you are having such a fun time--I am so jealous! Your mom emailed me about your journal so I will definitely become a reader. I looked at your other website too--you are very talented! So proud of my beautiful cousin :) Have fun and don't do anything I wouldn't do (which gives you a boatload of wiggle room, hahaha).

    ReplyDelete